Remarkable

I went to see a friend today, probably for the last time. I wasn’t the only one. Three more people arrived as I was leaving. “They’re all coming to say goodbye, you see,” explained his remarkable and remarkably calm wife. So had I.

Just over a year ago my friend, whom I’ll call Fred, was on the golf course, his favourite haunt, that and the pub. He bent down to pick up his ball and had a funny turn. Fearing a stroke, his golf buddies phoned his wife, known as Sheila for this blog. Between them they got him to the local stroke unit. After some tests, he was sent to a more worrisome hospital for more tests.

If only it had been a stroke.

Today he was tired, full of pills, but joie de vivre, as ever. When I arrived he said, “Here’s my girl!” Well, more like a right-hand woman, really. He’d been Chairman of a local community action group for donkeys’ years, and I’d been variously his vice chair, secretary, membership secretary, and I might even have been treasurer for a short stint. But all that was just labels. We muddled through together. Taking it in turns to drive down the M1 to meetings. Intending to swap thoughts on the agenda papers on the way there, proceedings on the way back. Invariably lapsing into wine, gossip, families and holidays.

Today he remembered those days, and various personalities he might easily have forgotten. Nope. He knew them all still. Sheila reminisced about her days as a young professional, until she moved to London and met Fred. “That was the luckiest day of your life, when you met Sheila,” I reminded him. “And it was the unluckiest day of hers,” he fired back.

He still has his Sid James laugh. It was at its loudest the day I saw a photo of him when he was a young man and I said, “Hells bells, Fred, you looked like Alistair Campbell then.” Well, he had to laugh or he would have cried, being the devout Tory that he is. A proper Tory that is, not a fan of the current shower in government. We disagreed about Brexit, though. Never fell out. A fellow northerner, he knew where I was coming from, even if he didn’t agree with me.

Sheila had the kind heart to ask how Sis was as she knew she’d been ill. I reassured her that she was well on the mend and was already back home in Barnsley. “Only place worse than Barnsley,” mused Fred, “is Whitehaven.” How does he do it?! Once, he was regaling me with stories of his business travels, and he’d had the ‘displeasure’ of driving through "the most awful town in England" – Whitehaven. To be fair, the route he took through town was not the most attractive. He’d have done better to drive past the closed chemical works and abandoned mine shaft. I had great pleasure in announcing that I was born in Whitehaven. “That’s what’s wrong with you,” he laughed, Sid James style, and it was a not-so-private joke ever since.

Apparently, he’d enjoyed a roast dinner earlier that afternoon, and I’m sure that was an empty sherry or small wine glass next to him. Why not. Earlier this year, I’d taken Fred and Sheila out to a pub lunch but he wasn’t drinking then. That had unnerved me more than anything.

One time I’d asked him to meet me in the pub, because I’d received an email from someone I didn’t know saying he’d like to join our campaign and could we meet to chat about it. Not wanting to meet a strange man in a pub (for appearances' sake, you understand), I asked Fred to join us. When I got there, one of those hostelries with numerous snugs and side rooms, I followed Fred’s laugh to the right room and saw him sitting at a table, talking to the most gorgeous-looking chap I had seen in a long while. That must have been the only time I regretted inviting Fred anywhere.

Another time, I got to a meeting and he turned up with alcohol on his breath. I assumed he’d just had a glass of wine with supper. Actually no. He was struggling with caring for an elderly relative, a duty and medication I came to know well myself a few years later. But still he was able to wisecrack about it.

When I left to head home today, I planted two big northern-style smackers on his cheek. He didn’t mind at all, and neither did Sheila. A remarkable woman, for a remarkable man.


Comments

  1. I remember Mum saying following a visit by a couple of friends the wife of whom was dying of cancer, that she was remarkably perky, even positive and that it was her husband who was uncomfortable whenever she touched on her illness.
    I've heard that alot, that the one faced with "the end" deals with it in a 'Ce la vie", if you'll excuse the expression, way, along with their nearest and dearest they adapt, rise to the situatin and live life as if there's no tomorrow, literally, making each, day, hour, minute, second count. One can only wonder at their silent suffering.
    Humour is a great tonic in coping with the unimaginable to the merely unpleasent earlier this year I had a cancer scare. The hospital removed it and luckilly it had not spread. I was one of the lucky ones. The operation did leave me with a stoma, a fact I'd been dreading but I resorted to humour to deal with it. I refer to my stoma as Little Sqirty, or Squirts for short and his stoma bags as Gucci bags though he's recently upgraded to Prada bags following a change in our needs.
    On my latest hospital stay I met a fellow patient who had just had a stoma fitted, I told her mine was called Little Squirty, she says she calls hers Ugly Buggar. "Well that's going to upset him" I exclaimed.
    So, there by the grace of God I was spared a terminal diagnosis but I have only admiration for those dealing with such a cruel hand dealt to them.
    On a totally separate note, what do people have against Whitehaven? It even got a bad review on one of those travel sites which made the Daily Mail, news must have been in short supply that day!
    It's High St. has not bounced back from Covid, but its not alone there but it is rich in history with some increadible architecture and tourist attractions. It still boasts what must be one of the few remaining independant cimemas, the Gaity. I remember Mum and Dad taking Sis and me there to see Snow White and the Seven Dwarves,circa 1965. Sis was scared of the wicked witch and burst into tears, oh how times have changed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment